Search This Blog

Friday 2 March 2012

Life in a hospital: not as glamorous as Grey’s Anatomy depicts.

On my 28th week of my pregnancy, I need to be confined on the hospital. I’ve spent several days at Stavanger hospital. I had a rough week of staying alone, to say the least. After a couple of weeks of having weird fevers/blood in pee/pains in my lower back/thousands of tests, my doctor recommended me to have a full check up. As soon as I arrived in the hospital, when the nurse found out I'm in pain, they let me lay down on the bed while waiting for the doctor.

I thought I can go home that day but after all the tests, around 6pm, the nurse told me I need to stay in the hospital for few days for observation. That night, I slept on the hallway because there was no available room for me.

On my third day, I was transferred to a single room.  I had my own television without remote control and I also had my own toilet.









    
The initial finding was bladder infection, then the next day, it became kidney stone. On the third day, the doctor said it was kidney inflammation. I'm starting to be confused! I'm trying to understand that it was also hard for the doctors to really detect what was wrong because of my pregnancy. They can only do limited tests. On the fifth day, the doctor scheduled me for a bladder biopsy to suss out what was going on. The result will be after one week. 
 
usual breakfast @ 8:30am (buffet-style)

usual dinner @ 5pm (buffet-style)

While I'm in the hospital, I do freewriting. It's my way of getting my brain in gear. The result of my bladder biopsy will be after a week. Since I cannot wait for that result anymore, on the 7th day, (February 13) my birthday, I requested the doctor if it's possible to discharge me since I feel a little better and I am more comfortable staying at home recovering. I was not expecting his answer when he said 'yes'. It was an answered prayer! When I left the hospital, I didn't pay any single centavo. Everything from the antibiotic, pain killer, daily checkup, food, clothes are for free.
That night, when I arrived home, my hubby and son prepared a dinner for me. I'm so thankful for my husband for all the love, care and patience that he showed while I'm in the hospital. Now, I'm on the road to recovery! Thank you for all the prayers while I'm under the weather.








No comments:

Post a Comment