Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 February 2011

Life is a roller-coaster ride...

When I decided to leave everything and board a plane to Europe, I was certainly taking some risks. I was hoping for the best, confident that this was the right move for me and my son together with my hubby, sure that I wanted to live a life different than the one I had been living, and eager to take on the challenges ahead of me. That was one year ago this week, and I have felt sure (in some way)that I made the right choice, that the risk was worth it. I have loved living in Norway, and, more specifically, Stavanger. I'll admit that things were really hard when I first got here. I had no idea that Geir would go straight to work in the morning 14 hours after few days we arrived. I didn't realize all of the things I'd have to take care of while Geir was gone every day. I didn't know a single person, had never been here. Everything was completely new for me. I remember the strange feeling that came over me that first day, when I realized that I didn't have Geir's phone number, I didn't have anyone's phone number in case I needed something. I was on my own, hoping for the best! But here I am, one year later, feeling quite at home. I have friends, I love our home, I'm able to communicate well enough but still using English language and little Norwegian, my son is happy with his place in life here. Stavanger has been a great fit for us, worth the risk and difficulties, and I love living here.

While life in Europe has been everything we hoped it would be, Geir had an accident while working end of 2010. So he needs to stay home for few months. This has been a serious disappointment for him. This part of the experience has definitely clouded our time here for the last few months, but we both decided to just dig in anyway, continue fixing up our home and investing in our life here in other ways. I don't regret that. Something I feel like I've learned through this process is that you cannot be sure what is coming tomorrow, and you just can't worry too much. We have both done our best to simply enjoy the good things in front of us as much as possible.

I don't know what I will do afterward. I pretty much "cashed in my chips" when I made the move out here in the first place, and feel like I don't have much to lose, in terms of money or materials (I don't have any!). Sometimes, I just want to go back to the Philippines and do the things I really want to do. Then I realized, I'm already out here, maybe I can make it work to stay for another year. This is all one big adventure, so I might as well take an extra trip again, and see what it's like living in this place. Of course, I don't know what exactly is getting offered, and at this point everything is quite vague and complicated.

I have always wanted an interesting life. I think this qualifies as very interesting. There is a reason that most people go with what's safe and familiar-- they are far less likely to find themselves unemployed in a new country, far from family and friends, almost broke, and not knowing what's next! But I'm still glad I came. And I am just up for whatever adventure comes my way. Life doesn't always feel secure and cozy, and I have had a LOT of FUN for one year of staying in this country. And I'm sure more is headed my way. In fact, my main focus right now, apart from looking for a better job that I REALLY love is just to have the best time ever, where I am right now...

2 comments:

  1. Hi :) i can't remember how i stumbled upon your blog but it really interests me. I am new ( well, 1 yr and 2 months) here in norway as well. Hang on..as i am trying to do the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sansu! thank you for dropping by! :D

    ReplyDelete