Search This Blog

Monday 8 March 2010

Norsk way of life...

I arrived here in Stavanger, Norway last January 24, 2010. I was so shocked during my first day because I arrived around 3 o’clock in the afternoon, I see snow everywhere and sunset is around 5 o’clock, a bit early for me. I was not able to sleep early that day maybe because of jet lag . Sunrise is at 9 o’clock. My husband made sure to orient me carefully on the day-to-day living in Stavanger particularly the garbage segregation and the opening and closing of stores (unfortunately here in Stavanger, shops are open Mondays thru Saturdays from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. only). My husband enrolled me in a Norsk Language Course so that I will be able to survive here in the Norsk-speaking part of Stavanger (South part of Norway). Speaking Norsk is very important if you want to get a job. Going back to school, I got to meet and be acquainted with my fellow Non-European classmates from Asia, Africa, Pakistan and South America. We all had varying personalities and we try to adapt to each other’s mood swings whenever we interact. Since I have a fellow Filipina with me in the Programme, I am so lucky to still speak Filipino everyday.

The differences from our country I have noticed after almost 2 months of being here in Stavabger are:
(1) The weather, it is now winter and before I can get out of the house, I have to wear so many layers of clothing before I can do my grocery shopping or even go to school.
(2) The language, I realized that I still have to learn a lot by really speaking their native tongue.
(3) The discipline among Norsk, since here I really had to cross in pedestrian lanes and always bring my Identity papers wherever I go.
(4) The way of learning, as my Programme is on a per Module basis. Teachers used Norsk language inside the classroom.
(5) The cost of living, as the prices of food and basic stuff are more expensive than in the Philippines.
(6) The air quality here is much better than in Manila. Cars are expensive and petrol is 1.35 krone per liter).
(7) Norsk do not eat rice three times a day, mashed potatoes and sandwiches are mostly their everyday meal.

I love the hundreds of lakes in Norway. I treasure my walks. I find it a waste to spend a beautiful day indoors. I see how people here in Norway value beautiful sunny days by spending time walking at the lake, by surfing or by picnicking. The modes of transportation are also very helpful. While back home I had to wake up very early in case of traffic, in Norway all I’ve got to do is allot at least half an hour before my class or appointment.

There are few Catholic Churches here in Stavanger, Norway but since the mass is in Norsk, I still cannot attend every week. Good thing I have met a lot of Filipinos who have stayed here for so many years already and once a month, they organize an English Mass officiated by a Filipino priest. Even if trams and buses abound, bicycling is still better because it is relatively cheaper and biking lanes are really in place. I haven't tried riding any public vehicle yet because my husband always drove me to school since he's still on vacation now. My classmate told me that one ride in a tram will already cost 45 pesos in the Philippines even if you're only going to the train station.

Exposing to Norsk way of life is an amazing experience for me. Hopefully, more Filipinos will be given a chance to visit/stay in the land of milk and honey on the years to come, for them to experience the joys and sorrows of living in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment